Solutions Inspired Ltd

Creative solutions with over 25 years of experience

0191 417 45 77

Cavity Wall Insulation - Save Money and Energy

As energy costs continue to rise, Cavity Wall Insulation remains one of the most cost-effective ways of reducing your heating bills. If you act fast, you could also claim a free non-repayable Government-backed Grant to cover all or most of the Installation cost.

Insulation Grants Are Running Out.

  • The Green Deal will replace Grants in Autumn 2012.
  • Installation costs will be paid through Green Deal loans.
  • Loans will be repaid through energy bill savings.
  • Non-repayable Insulation Grants are still available now.
  • Claim a free Grant today before they run out.

A typical household with Cavity Wall Insulation will save up to £135 per year on energy bills. Without it, up to 35% of the heat in your home will be escaping through your walls.

All private households qualify for a Grant. There are two types of Cavity Wall Insulation Grants. 100% Grants are available to anyone aged 70 and above, or those in receipt of certain benefits, tax credits or allowances. 40% to 70% Grants are available to all other private householders. Read more about Insulation Grants.

However, time is running out to get your free Cavity Wall Insulation Grant. Currently, Grants are claimed by the Insulation installer and do not have to be repaid. From Autumn 2012, Cavity Wall Insulation Grants will be replaced by 'Green Deal' loans. The cost will be recovered through energy bill savings.

What is Cavity Wall Insulation ?

If your home was built after 1924, your walls are likely to have an air gap called a cavity that could benefit from Insulation. Cavity Wall Insulation is installed from the ground floor to the roof by approved professionals, resulting in big savings on your energy bills.

Most installers use Cavity Insulation made from shredded mineral wool (glass fibre) that can reduce the amount of heat escaping your home by up to 35%. Cavity Wall Insulation saves up to £135 per year on energy bills and reduces CO2 emissions by up to 610kg.

Our Cavity Wall Insulation Grants Are For:

  • Private, domestic UK households (not commercial).
  • Most homes built of brick between 1924 and 1982.
  • Shredded mineral wool/glass fibre in most cases.
  • Blown into the gap between two layers of bricks.
  • Installed from the ground floor to the roof.
  • Fitted by approved local insulation installers.

Is my property suitable for Cavity Wall Insulation? Recent research by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) has shown that only 58% of all properties that could benefit from Cavity Wall Insulation have been insulated. Your home could be amongst the remaining 42% eligible for a Home Insulation Grant.

The first thing to check is whether your home actually has cavity walls. Most properties built of brick from 1924 onwards are likely to have a cavity. If your property was built before 1924, it will probably have solid walls as shown below:

Another useful indication of whether you have a cavity is if the walls are at least 10" (250mm) thick. If it is less, the walls are likely to be solid. Properties built after 1982 should not need Cavity Wall Insulation, as building regulations changed to ensure it was fitted during construction. Since Cavity Wall Insulation cannot be topped up, it is not worth applying for a Grant if you think Insulation has been installed in the past.

How much could you save?

Annual saving Installation cost Payback time Carbon Dioxide saving per year
Up to £135 £100 - £350 1 - 3 years Around 550kg

These are estimated figures based on insulating a gas-heated, semi-detached home with three bedrooms. The installed cost includes a subsidy of around £250 available from the major energy suppliers under the Carbon Emissions Reduction Target (CERT)

You will NOT be able to have Cavity Wall Insulation installed if:

  • Your property was built before 1924 or after 1982.
  • You live in a flat and do not have the agreement of neighbours above and below.
  • The walls have already been filled with Insulation.
  • There are any signs of damp on the inside or outside of the walls.
  • The cavity width is less than 2" (50mm) or there is rubble present.
  • The property is timber/steel framed, concrete or stone.
  • Ventilation is inadequate and a vent cannot be fitted.